PlazaJen: Passion Knit

Monday, August 28, 2006

Mmmmmm, Cake. Cake With Layers!

OK, you know you're supposed to read that title in a Homer-Simpsonesque voice, right?

I'm talking about the movie, Layer Cake, starring the newest 007, Daniel Craig. I must admit, when I saw him gracing the cover of my Ent. Wkly magazine, I wasn't impressed. After all, there have been numerous machinations and interpretations of Bond, thank you, and I admit, I've always been partial to the brunette ones.... specifically Sean Connery & Pierce Brosnan.

But then? JWo wisely DVR'd Layer Cake one evening, thinking I'd like it. Oh what a lovely thing it is, to have someone know you. He was so right! Great music, an intriguing story, and an all-around good indie-feel movie. Made me tumble hard for one Daniel Craig, as well. WHOOOOOO CHILD. He's smokin'.

Now, do you want a couple movies to avoid? (Hi, who didn't leave the house or change out of her pajamas on Sunday?) I won't bother linking "White Noise" with Michael Keaton. Hi, I saw "The Ring" already and this doesn't even come close. Click, end of story. The other is Crash, and I don't mean the Oscar-nominated "Crash". This one's about freaky people with car-accident sex-fetishes, and no matter how many terrific, Emmy/Oscar-caliber actors you assemble (James Spader, Holly Hunter, Rosanna Arquette), it's still about freaky car-accident fetish folk. Hey. To each their own, but despite near X-rated scenes, I found myself bored & fast-forwarding to see if any big life-changing message or reveal was going to happen. Nope. The movie left me feeling like I was watching yet another twist on addiction, where people sink lower and lower out of a desperate attempt to actually FEEL something, and really, on a rainy Sunday afternoon, nobody needs to ride along for that.

(But I still adore James Spader.) And watch Layer Cake. Maybe make one, too. Mmmm. Cake......
posted by PlazaJen, 8:21 PM
|