PlazaJen: Passion Knit

Monday, March 12, 2007

Civic Doody

I have to call a phone number tonight to see if I have to report for jury duty tomorrow. Joy! Why do these things happen when there's already 800 things going on? I'm all about being civic-minded and being responsible, and lord knows, when I was on that jury when I lived in St. Louis, I was not only an excellent juror (elected forewoman to boot, always an over-achiever, I'll blog it at some point...), I take the process extremely seriously. Maybe because of my deep-seated fear I will be accused of a crime I didn't commit and there won't be a handy-dandy CSI team to clear up the mistake in under an hour. And, let me tell you, the idea of "jury of your peers" is a scary one. Three jurors fell asleep during our jury trial (granted, they'd turned the a/c off, in July, in St. Louis, but still!), and the guy seated by me had just barely cleared the IQ test to stay in the mainstream classroom. At least that was the only explanation I was left with, because he was so stupid I wanted to punch him in the face. Behavior unbefitting a jury forewoman, so I refrained.

So, no, I don't want the general masses holding my fate in my hands while they rush to end early so they can get home to the doublewide and catch the latest episode of Smackdown. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my services will NOT be required. Otherwise, I have to cancel multiple appointments, and work from home at night.

I did rather enjoy the photo they have on the website, making jury duty look worthwhile and exciting. SELL it, baby!

(Note the man trying to stay awake by grabbing the bridge of his nose. (I do that trick myself!) These people need an ad agency! Let's make jury duty sexy! Or at least as riveting as an hour of "24".....)
posted by PlazaJen, 10:56 AM
|