PlazaJen: Passion Knit

Monday, January 30, 2006

Little Did I Know, It Was Fredo All Along.

There are a lot of times in my life when I look to movies & whatnot for reference, reminders, inspiration & laughter. There was a time when I lived in St. Louis, and had been completely fucked over by my boss (you know, the one who drank, cried in her office & played Free Cell instead of working? Yeah! That one!) My extremely wise aunt was getting tired of listening to me bemoan my fate. So she pulled out the big guns. The baddest-ass movie about work you could ever imagine.

The Godfather.

"Jennifer! You need to be more like the Godfather. You need to remember as Don Corleone said, 'It's only business.' You are taking it all way too personally."

Moi? I fucking wrote the book on taking things personally. Masterpiece, really.
But the more I thought about it, the more sense it made. Hell, if Michael Corleone could rig up and "go fishing" with his brother Fredo, and we all know how that turned out for Fredo, then I sure could stop taking every slight on the chin. Well, that's all grand in theory. I still take things personally, but I've gotten smarter. It still bruises, some of these pitfalls & things that happen in the daily grind. People are volatile, hard to deal with, and in any workplace, there's always a buffoon idiot, a passive-aggressive freak, and a blind follower, no matter the business or industry. Accounts are won, accounts are lost. The thrill of the chase, the sadness of defeat. It's the natural ocean of the agency world, and no matter how many years you sail it, there are still times you get salt water up your nose.

Better than going fishing with Michael Corleone, anyway...
posted by PlazaJen, 9:24 PM
|