PlazaJen: Passion Knit

Saturday, September 24, 2005

Hey Party People....

So the open house party was a success; it looked a little sketchy at first what with all the rain & I think everyone's anxiety level was hitting the roof. Having sat at my desk smelling garlic and cheese for two hours, it was all I could do not to leap onto the table and sit in the middle of it, grabbing brie with one hand & shrimp with the other. Since I'd like to keep this job, I refrained.

However, once the crush of people started, I found myself squirrelling off to my office to sit and just be still for 5-10 minutes at a time. I think I'm more the 20-person-max-party-girl, and I like to have the option to SIT DOWN in a four-hour window. There was no sitting, and there were at least 100 people milling about. I spent most of my time talking to co-workers, one of whom announced she was gettin' drunk, dammit. I felt so old at that moment. My days of getting drunk around all my coworkers (at the office no less!) are gone gone gone they been gone so long gone gone gone so long. I have been known to whoop it up in a bar setting, but anymore, the meds I'm on make me sweat like a sprinkler if I'm drinking and it's slightly warm, so that's unpleasant, and I'd rather not lose control in front of people who don't really know me yet.

I had some fun conversations, though, and my boss & his wife are just awesome. The stories they tell about their kids make me laugh SO HARD, because each of their three children are so different, and yet such characters. I'll re-tell them all, I'm sure, but for today I'll leave you with the one from their youngest, a 3-year-old boy. He wanted McDonald's. And stated it as such. "Mom, I want McDonald's." "No, honey." "Mom, I WANT McDonald's!" "No!" "Mom, I WANT MCDONALD'S, GODDAMMIT!" She almost drove off the road. And upon learning he shouldn't use that word, it became a mantra chant from the backseat: "GODDAMMIT GODDAMMIT GODDAMMIT GODDAMMIT!"

I said, "So, did he get McDonald's?"
"Nope."

I love good parenting.
posted by PlazaJen, 9:07 AM
|