PlazaJen: Passion Knit

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

We Interrupt This Blog For Actual Knitting.

Oh, yeah, baby. There are people out there with "knitting blogs", and hell, the TITLE of my blog is about knitting, but let's not sugar coat it people. I enjoy the blog for the bitching and the kvetching and the shouting and the laughing, and sometimes I give you knitting updates. So today I give you some updating on how I do spend a lot of my time!



These are socks for JWo; custom-fit, toe-up, using Lucy Neatby's little square toe. I did not like the idea for leaving the heel until the end, so I abandoned the pattern for hodge-podging my own. The yarn is Regia 100g, and it came in one big ball. I always do my socks at the same time! Two socks on two circs, it's the way that works for me.



These are socks for me, and they knit up SuperFast. I don't know why! They're a little snug, but they feel like warm wooly feet hugs, so I'm pleased. My feet like to be hugged. The yarn is Parade, from Knit Picks, color Plum. It's sport weight, and I got some in Pumpkin Patch for socks for James! I see from the website that they re-named it to "forest". Whatever, I have the label that calls it punkin patch and there is no better-named yarn for my Giant Punkin Grower! The pattern is Lucy Neatby's Mermaid Sock, with the wavy cuff. The twisted rib was really fun, and I think contributed to why it went so quickly. The self-striping made it look like I was making entrelac socks, but really, it's a simple pattern with the stitch & the yarn making the magic. Also, the big short-row heel was awesome. Loved it. No gaping holes, no doing slip stitches, just a cushy garter stitch. I'll be using that heel again! If you like to knit socks, her book "Cool Socks, Warm Feet" is a must-have.



This is the start of my clapotis. I worked on it on & off in the car yesterday; it at least made the drive go faster! I managed to get more stitches between the markers than I think is called for? And I. Don't. Care. It's a scarf, it's adjustable, and I'm capable of adapting the pattern to my mistakes! So we'll see how I feel about it when it's done! LOL! I'm using an extremely soft sock yarn from Knit Picks, Sock Landscapes, in color Rocky Mountain Dusk. I have four skeins of it (so I've got more yardage to play with as I "adjust" this pattern), and the Clapotis will cost me $16, vs. the $90 I'd pay to use the called-for Lion & Lamb. Sigh. Yes, I realize I'm not knitting with silk/wool in an exquisite colorway....and yes, I'm using Hello Kitty & Spongebob Squarepants shoe charms for some of my stitch markers. I'm just a Knitta With Attitude. Look for my hip-hop album to drop next year.....
posted by PlazaJen, 7:13 AM
|