PlazaJen: Passion Knit

Saturday, September 17, 2005

You Had Me At "Fraud"......



OK, that's a horribly petty title. But good grief. First off, is anyone REALLY surprised that Renee Zellweger & Kenny Chesney are no more? That their marriage, like the Monty Python parrot, is dead? (A "Fraud", no less! Whatever that means!) eGad. It's the price you pay, being famous, in exchange for all your fucking celebrity gift baskets (that I am positively GREEN WITH ENVY for) and your fat bank accounts, everyone gets to make fun of you for being an idiot.



See, I was thinking about this (in all that blank vacuum-esque time when training was going on, and it was being taught in Swahili, for all I could tell), that my personal approach to my marriage & most all of my relationships is what I'd describe as "the opposite of Jenga". I prefer to build up, with precision & a steady hand, taking my time to lay the small wooden sticks in order to create the strongest foundation possible. These speedy-flash marriages make me visualize a Jenga tower, thrown together & stacked high, without a lot of care or thought into how long it might stay up, or what happens the first time one of the blocks gets knocked into, bumped, or taken out. I know, there are people who get engaged in two weeks, married in six months, and stay married for the rest of their lives. My best friend Shelley's parents' story was exactly that - 45 years later, they're still chuggin' along. If my approach classifies me as "cautious", well, I'll live with that. We got engaged after 3 years & 3 months of dating; married at 4 years, and now we're at 6 years and 4 months. (Don't worry, I don't keep a ticker going, I use my fingers to count off from May to figure out how long it's been.) I just don't know how you truly know someone in less than 6 months. I had a 7-year friendship bite the dust, for pete's sake, over basic personality & belief differences. I suppose the flip side is if you have a whirlwind romance & get hitched & keep a lot of romantic notions about love & relationships being like something out of the movies, then you're bound to hit the rocks pretty quick-like. Kind of like your Jenga tower falling down after only two blocks get pulled out.

For the record, though, I figure if anyone's spouse gets within seduction-range of Angelina Jolie, nobody's marriage is safe. Hell, I'd probably leave JWo for her. (Oo! Think she'd adopt me? Then I'd get to fight Maddox and Zahara for the cool shit in her celebrity gift baskets!)
posted by PlazaJen, 12:22 AM
|