PlazaJen: Passion Knit

Monday, November 26, 2007

Tha' Wath Fun....

Well, fun isn't necessarily the right word. But! I had possibly the nicest, kindest doctor in the universe perform my root canal this morning. He was so wonderful in his thoroughness, explanations, updates on what we were doing - of course, it still doesn't take away from the fact you have your mouth propped open & at one point, something was hung on my lip to keep it handy, but hey, I wasn't exactly there for spa services, either.

Possibly the best moment (look away, you who are squeamish) was when he reached my tooth pulp and said, "Ohhhh, Jennifer. This tooth pulp is really irritated. You have been dealing with this for a long time, haven't you?" (My response was a guttural "UNG-HUH!", which pretty much sums up all of the communication I could make with all the stuff in my mouth.) "Well, you're going to have some discomfort for a couple of days, but after that, it's going to be so good for you, you probably don't even know how much you've been coping with it, you've gotten so used to it."

SWEET JESUS. Thank you! The second-best moment was when I got to watch him on the overhead TV, packing the canals and filling up my tooth. Yeah, some people (my husband included) would not enjoy that, but I am Fascinated with a capital "F". I figure as long as I'm not feeling anything, why not watch the show? I'm always curious Georgina when it comes to these things, and I love when doctors (who know infinitely more than I do about what's going on) explain the process.

Anyway, I decided I felt so sorry for my inner child that I had a huge chocolate malt from Winstead's, along with a burger & fries. I haven't had fast food in a very long time, and I about got drunk off the fumes driving home. After that feast (consumed very carefully with my right-hand teeth), I went to bed. And slept the entire afternoon. I'm on an alternating schedule of Tylenol & Aleve, and should be a transformed woman by the end of the week. I will say, though, if I'm ever faced with this again, I will simply go ahead & get the root canal FIRST, because there's a risk to the crown during the procedure, and I don't think you get your second crown at 50% off. (Must check for coupons...) It was an expensive adventure, but I'm trusting his words, that life will be significantly better soon. Yay for that!

The only downside is that the permanent filling doesn't :exactly: match my crown, and they made a point about that at least 3 times, but the doc did finally say that given the location of the tooth, the only people who would actually see it and notice it, should be accepting of such anomalies, given how close they are to me. Literally. Uh, yeah. Good thing I'm not a horse, though......

Labels:

posted by PlazaJen, 5:37 PM
|