PlazaJen: Passion Knit

Sunday, February 11, 2007

O Happy Day......

I went to Bangkok Pavilion last week for lunch; they have a Thai buffet & it was quite tasty. (Thom Yum soup from heaven!) So the Wo & I decided to give their weekend lunch buffet a go, and boy howdy, were we ever delighted. It was like going home. We walked in the door & I immediately spotted one of the women from the now-defunct (but dearly loved) Thai 2000. (Previous adoring posts on Thai 2000 can be found here, here and here.) Sure enough, the sisters from Thai 2000 were there, and this was the first weekend the restaurant was trying out the authentic brunch.

We almost fell over from the sheer happiness of it all. James kept asking me if I knew and was keeping it as a surprise. (Nope!)

I will say that the food had less spice, and that will probably help it appeal to a wider contingency. They have all the spice condiments so you can make your own degree of heat, which is nice. I was actually able to eat two bowls of Chicken Curry Soup, and before could only get through half a bowl, due to the amount of flaming hot spice in it. I had the traditional pork-noodle appetizer, and one of the workers told me I was eating it just like an authentic Thai person would. (With a spoon. Go me!) By the time we left, the place was hopping, skewing heavily to an Asian dining population, which again, is usually a good sign. The service was excellent, and I know we'll be going back again soon. It was great to discover it this weekend - and the added bonus being, it's like, 8 miles closer than Thai 2000 was!

Of course, we'll continue to support our local Thai restaurant (Thai House) ; I'm now on a first-name basis with the chef there, and when I call in my order I make sure she's the one making my Red Curry Beef. They hired an additional cook a while back, and whoever they are, they don't make it like Penny does. I declared myself the "Prime Minister of Thai Food" to James, as I was bloviating about the Red Curry Situation a few weeks ago, and kudos to the owners for listening to me when I brought it up. James pointed out that title IS self-appointed. However, I do think I've earned it.

Labels:

posted by PlazaJen, 12:41 PM
|