PlazaJen: Passion Knit

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Crawl

We have reached the days that move slowly in the workplace. Like we are suddenly submerged in a snow globe filled with Karo syrup, and we moonwalk-bounce through the day, drifting, clockwatching, repetitively checking mail and clicking for email in hopes of discovering something new and exciting to break up the day. (Evidence: I have watched "Dick in a Box" now, um, at least 12 times, and doubled up on the Barry Gibb Talk Show and Welcome to Homelessville. Go to NBC.com and SNL's page within, it's good for eating up 20 minutes with stupid humor & lots of laughs.)

My excitement today came over lunch, when a co-worker and I went to Index, in the River Market. Index is a restaurant supply store, and at one point, I rounded a corner, and an employee asked me how I was doing. I replied, "I'm having the time of my life!" And I think he thought I was being sarcastic - but I wasn't! I tried to engage my co-worker in a whisk war, because the whisk? Was four feet tall. It was the most entertaining thing to brandish. The world would be a better place if we solved our problems and differences with oversized whisks, I just know it. (God, how it would hurt to get your nose stuck between the wires though!) I bought a dozen steak knives for $12.20. (Don't worry, I'm not brandishing them. We only have a set of four, and I'm tired of hobbling together a mismatched collection of knives, some of which are meant for paring & not cutting meat, when more than four sharp cutting knives are needed at dinner.)

Then we went to the enormous Asian supermarket, and I impulsively bought some of the necessary ingredients for fresh spring rolls. Which I won't be able to make until Saturday, but that's ok, I'll have time & be on holiday break, and I won't be watching light move across the floor to mark the passage of time.
posted by PlazaJen, 4:38 PM
|