PlazaJen: Passion Knit

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Owning My Fear

I have subscribed to the Hazelden Gift of the Day email for over six years - I found it after I failed to get my mother to enter their treatment program. Funny thing was, she just didn't think drinking an entire bottle of vodka and almost dying was really indicative of a problem. I'm always the CRAZY one! {Insert big moose-hand rapid-waving by my ears here.} Sometimes the emails don't do much for me, sometimes I save them for their poignancy & appropriateness - and today's couldn't have been more spot-on. So I share it with you, as I climb back into my hamster wheel & try to wait patiently for more news. I'm thinking of embroidering "No situation is more than we can handle" into my forearm.


Courage is fear that has said its prayers.
-- Dorothy Bernard

No one of us is always courageous. With trepidation we embark on many journeys. Fear is dispelled each time we rely on our inner strength and trust that our lives are in good hands.

Self-talk is powerful and will prepare us to meet whatever lies ahead today. Self-talk is like prayer and quiets our fears, making it possible to give our full attention to the events transpiring. Self-talk, when positive, cultivates a healthy self-image, one that offers security, even in the face of disaster. We all carry on a dialogue with ourselves much of the time. Taking charge of the messages -- making sure they enhance our personal well being -- is an option always available to us.

No situation is more than we can handle. Whatever courage or strength is needed is as close as our willingness to go within, to commune with ourselves.

I must own my fears before I can let them go. Courage follows closely on their departing footsteps.
posted by PlazaJen, 9:10 AM
|