PlazaJen: Passion Knit

Thursday, November 24, 2005

Simple Thanks

It's nice to have this holiday where the only expectations of you are to show up and eat.

Over the years, I've had Thanksgivings alone, with friends, with my family, with James' family.

One of the years I was alone is especially funny - my ex boyfriend stopped by (after hanging out with his current girlfriend) & brought me a piece of pumpkin pie. Moving past the enormous salt shaker pouring into my wound, I took a bite. This was no ordinary pie. He had made a pie from all-natural ingredients. Without sugar. Organic unsweetened graham-cracker crust. Pie filling sweetened with :shudder: molasses. The only redeeming feature was real whipped cream, unsweetened as it was. I was polite, and yet knowing how transparent my face can be, I know he knew I didn't like it. Fortunately, his visit was short & I tossed the rest of it.

As my friend Pete observed later when I told him about it: "Life served you a slice of BITTER PIE that Thanksgiving...."

So, today, I am grateful to have a simplified holiday. We're going to our friend Roger's, and all we have to bring is a cheese plate, and I purchased enough cheese at Costco to be officially licensed as a Cheese Head. Oh, yeah, and a pumpkin pie. $5.99 at Costco, and guaranteed not to be bitter..... ;)
posted by PlazaJen, 5:53 AM
|