PlazaJen: Passion Knit

Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Amazing Distaste

Every other Tuesday, I volunteer at the Ronald McDonald House, and as is customary, I called Hubby last night as I was nearing home.

He greeted me with growling noises, and sounded very frustrated.

“Whatcha doin?” I asked.
“OOOOOOh, I got sucked in to this damned Amazing Race and I’m FRUSTRATED.

“Oh, is it Jonathan?” Everyone, even non-watchers or sporadic watchers like me have heard of Jonathan. He treats his wife terribly, and seems to be pretty unapologetic about it.

“I don’t know who they are. I hate them all.”

Oooooh,keeeey, I was pulling in our driveway so we hung up. Walk in the door. Major dog greetings. Hubby is slouched in the BigChair, frowning.

“These people are so stupid! I don’t like ANY of them!” he complained.

I refrained from saying, “Then why the hell ya watchin’?” Instead, I said, “Well, it’s fun to see all the places they go & the things they have to do.”

He continued. “I mean, I don’t LIKE ANY OF THEM!” (He said this at least 3 more times in the last half-hour of the show. I won't re-type each utterance. Just take my word on it.)

I was laughing, mostly on the inside, but on the outside a little bit. My poor hubby. He just liked Rupert from Survivor so much, and he expects Reality TV World to serve him up at least one likeable person in every season. I’ve only watched one full episode & two halves of this season’s Amazing Race, and I didn’t pay enough attention to avidly dislike any of them (except Jonathan, who sort of forces you to dislike him immediately).
As the end of the show crept nearer, I heard a squawk: “DATING MODELS?”
And then I did laugh out loud. “Honey, they have dating models on every season. It’s just the way it is.”

“Well, I don’t like them.”
posted by PlazaJen, 10:40 AM
|