PlazaJen: Passion Knit

Monday, December 06, 2004

Frenetic Fergie

My nickname (among many) growing up was "Ferg", because apparently my father had to read esoteric history books to me as a baby, and was reading something about General Ferdinand, and the name evolved into Fergendorfer, shortened to Ferg. The Ferdinand was a theme, because "Ferdinand the Bull" was one of the very first books I learned to read as a child, and was definitely one of my most favorite books - to this day. My very first book I learned to read, at the ripe old age of 3, was "Father Bear Comes Home" and I loved the illustrations - especially with the mermaid & Little Bear.
I still remember the moment in time when I read something new, and comprehended it. It was truly the proverbial light bulb going off. I was still 3, we were living in Knoxville, Iowa, and I woke up to the sun shining in my room. I called for my dad, and I remember it was SO QUIET. I saw there was something on the chalkboard in my room, and I went over and looked at it. It said "I have gone down the road. I will be back soon. -Dad" and I read it, there was this "Kablooey!" in my mind, and I walked over to the window and looked out, and saw my father riding his bicycle back up the hill. I wasn't afraid by the quiet, I understood where he had gone. And I felt very, very wise.
I've given my father new versions of "Father Bear Comes Home", "Ferdinand the Bull", "Ferdinand the Bull " - in Latin - and still thank him for teaching me to read. I wish I read more, of course, and that might be the one New Year's resolution I actually keep.
Meanwhile, I'm frenetic & making lists & being a highly organized systematic freak in my approach to work, holiday things, shopping, and life in general. Don't be surprised if I start walking around with a stopwatch & a whistle soon.

posted by PlazaJen, 11:06 AM
|