PlazaJen: Passion Knit

Friday, July 06, 2007

Zip-a-Dee-Do-Dah!

Well, today's the big day. Not exactly, I suppose, that's next year (the big 4-0!) Even if it wasn't my birthday, I'm going to a day spa, AND the plumber's coming to fix my shower, so that right there makes it a banner day. Add to that dinner tonight, with my bestest girlfriends, followed by cake (there must always be cake), and undoubtedly, knitting, and you have a five-star day. (Please, just cross your fingers and whisper a little wish for me on the plumbing project. That's the only wrench I can foresee, and I'd hate to undo all the relaxation from the spa...)

The best news I can report is that on Monday, I was having a conversation with one of my bosses, and he asked me how I was doing. I said, "OK!" and for the first time in over a year, it didn't feel like part of me was lying. Sure, there are still moments, even hours and days that I don't feel "ok", or that something reminds me of dad, and I am sad, melancholy, even grief-stricken. But I've passed all the first anniversaries now - including last year's dreadful burglary - and there's something solidifying about standing in the present and not having the year-ago reflection feel like a soul-sucking monster bearing down on you.

So let there be cake! And friends! And love. And healing, and joy, and perspective. The best gifts in life can't be bought. (You are, however, welcome to shower me with presents.)
posted by PlazaJen, 6:56 AM
|