PlazaJen: Passion Knit

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

International Scarf Exchange 5

I'm so stoked to be participating in my first EVER knitting exchange. See, there are like a bajillion secret pal type exchanges, and several hundred katrillion involve knitting something for a recipient, most of the ones I've seen involve SOCKS. Well. Let me tell you, I am just now - how many years later? - just now getting to the point where I will make a pair of socks for someone other than my husband or me. Making socks for a stranger? You might as well ask me to french kiss someone at random in a Target store. No, thank you, not today! Anyway, I stumbled onto ISE and waited patiently until a new one started up. Scarves? This I know. Have a gajillion myself. No need to fit to a person's foot, either.

Anyway, I have to admit, I was still a little nervous, because I've done a couple secret pal thingies, and they haven't always panned out as hoped. You know, it's like the carnival claw that sucks you in and you think you're going to get that enormous gorgeous pink poodle doll, but instead, all you come up with is a ten-cent rubber ball. That has that dreadful marbleization on it. But so far, I tell ya, my fears have been completely unfounded! The person who has me has emailed several times, she's funny & has great questions, and kudos to our organizers, who seemed to match us all up impeccably. How perfect is it to get someone who doesn't like mohair? Yippee!

So that brings me to my current knitting in progress - my scarf for the exchange. I can't tell you anything about my recipient, except that I'm darn-tootin' sure she'll like this. I had several fits & starts and pattern reckoning and yarn entanglements and changed my mind several times along the way, but I am thoroughly enjoying the yarn (Knit Picks Swish, in Eggplant) and the pattern - the Miranda Scarf from SmariekKnits (free if you join the Yahoo group!) I LOVE this pattern! You only cable two out of the twelve rows, and I pretty much have it memorized at this point. It's not reversible, but I'm cool with that. I am also totally in love with my Knit Picks Harmony needles, they are so pointy for wooden needles, they are interchangeable, I kiss my fingertips and poof them up to the sky as an homage to how much I love them!

IMG_1765

IMG_1763

A happy project-in-progress! I have to get it done before the end of Nov - no problemo!

Labels:

posted by PlazaJen, 4:02 PM
|