PlazaJen: Passion Knit

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Random Dots, Forming a Circle....

Yesterday morning, Kristin and I were chatting, and she mentioned she'd watched the movie "Benny & Joon" again...which led to a conversation about how hot Mr. Depp is, and of course, let's not forget how hot Mr. Aidan Quinn is, either.

One of the songs on the soundtrack of that movie is an all-time favorite of mine, and can usually reduce me to tears in about 4 seconds flat. "Have A Little Faith In Me", by John Hiatt. He's got to be the one singing it, mind you. Mandy Moore doesn't turn on my sprinklers.

That same morning, I sat through a presentation of the local NBC station's new fall programming; one of the new shows is called "Three Wishes", it's their answer to "Extreme Makeover", and it's intended to make you weep, sob, and feel like a pathetic jerk for thinking you ever had any problems in your life. Well, OK, they call it "feel good". I was doing a good job of maintaining a steely exterior - and then there was John Hiatt, singing about having a little faith, and it was one of those Pavlovian reaction, I felt tears in my eyes almost immediately! Good thing it was just a snippet.

I got to see John Hiatt perform in a radio studio, maybe 11 years ago or so. There was a station in Minneapolis (The Cities 97) that was my favorite - they played a wide variety & included some folky stuff here & there. People coming to town for concerts often promoted themselves in their studios, and usually did some acoustic work. My rep knew how much I loved all the artists they played, and invited me to watch John Hiatt - it was awesome, we shook hands (me grinning and my lower jaw unable to move or form any sounds that resembled words) & I think he signed my TAPE COVER, yes, how smooth did that look?

Later that day, I had another meeting, and the sales manager had worked in Minneapolis, and apparently knew everyone up there, so I sat through his rapid-fire "Did you know -----?" until I felt like Memory Lane was going to swallow me whole.

Today, I get to see Bryan Adams sing over lunch, as part of a radio station's listener appreciation thing. I'm just glad his music doesn't make me weep. But his song, "We're in Heaven" WAS the theme to my junior prom, you know, the one where I was in charge of all the decorations, including some lovely airy "cloud fiber"....

It's weird to have these random moments, experiences, memories, just all swirl in the same day. It's not deja vu, maybe it's just a reminder that things in this ad biz never really change. I guess it's part of the bonus of getting older, experiences repeat themselves. So I leave you with a portion of the lyrics that have been running through my head for a day now. Try not to cry.

When the road gets dark
And you can no longer see
Just let my love throw a spark
And have a little faith in me

And when the tears you cry
Are all you can believe
Just give these loving arms a try
And have a little faith in me
And

Chorus:
Have a little faith in me
Have a little faith in me
Have a little faith in me
Have a little faith in me

When your secret heart
Cannot speak so easily
Come here darlin’
From a whisper start
To have a little faith in me

And when your back’s against the wall
Just turn around and you will see
I will catch, I will catch your fall baby
Just have a little faith in me
posted by PlazaJen, 6:43 AM
|